- the huge Volume,
- the need for real-time decision making represented by Velocity,
- the Variety of forms in which the data appears,
- the Veracity pointing to the quality of the acquired data, and
- the Value, which is determined by how effectively the subject is able to utilize the power of large volumes of data.
Due to our interconnected world, any event happening anywhere in the world can affect public and private organizations in different parts of the planet at the same time. Therefore, organizations can easily get overloaded by the process of finding and accessing key pieces of information to determine accurate decisions. Likewise, competent reasoning can only be achieved when using the most appropriate sources with suitable processing methods.
An example is the current pandemic outbreak. The novel Coronavirus continues to surge globally, increasing the death toll in different countries. Open Source Intelligence (OSINT) and Automatic Speech Recognition help in monitoring stories in the media around the world, transforming a vast amount of information into actionable intelligence (see above and below charts as examples).
Moreover, mitigation actions against the virus, political instability and economic volatility in bordering countries or far-distant locations affect the prognosis of the crisis in each nation, whereas the possibility to perform media monitoring in different languages concedes expanded situational awareness. As an aid to this process, SAIL LABS Media Mining System makes it easy to monitor OSINT data in 32 languages and dialects from around the globe (see below example).
Some of the key benefits of SAIL LABS Media Mining System for public health include:
- Continuous assessment of media coverage and public opinion in real-time
- Monitoring punctual and permanent health promotion campaigns
- Sentiment Analysis of traditional and social media regarding the perceived impact of the disease and government action
- Event-based surveillance
- Rapid data collection for fast decisions
- Timely reporting mechanisms
- Social media intelligence
- Data extraction from text or audio-visual sources in languages that users do not speak, thanks to automatic speech recognition and machine translation covering 32 languages
- Situational awareness and situational understanding
Other fields of expertise can also benefit from OSINT, empowered by the SDL and SAIL LABS solution, such as business intelligence, political campaigns and public opinion research, and critical infrastructure protection. Through the numerous widgets available in the Media Mining System, Open Source information can be explored extensively, expanding situational awareness within critical scenarios. Examples of widgets include a Global Visualization Map, a Relations Graph, a Media Browser, a Trend Graph, a Sentiment Analysis Chart (below), a Social Media Heat Map, and many others.
Therefore, analysts, decision makers, investigators, strategists, researchers or risk managers can all benefit from properly translated, transcribed and accurate information during the assessment of a crisis; making use of one platform that enables access to actionable data obtained from a vast amount of media sources, languages and dialects. The SDL and SAIL LABS system provides the means to make the incredible volume of information searchable and manageable. It can be put into practice in all markets requiring media mining and information processing capabilities (see below).
By providing actionable intelligence and knowledge based on open and publicly available sources (e.g. TV, radio, Internet, press, social media), we're able to offer cutting-edge technologies in areas such as Automatic Speech Recognition, Speaker Identification, Sentiment Analysis, Face Recognition, as well as Named Entity and Topic Detection across multiple languages, geographies and sources.