On December 7th 2016, 700 of the industry’s ﬁnest assembled at the Park Lane Hilton in London for the DatacenterDynamics EMEA Award ceremony. These awards recognize excellence in design and operation of the full range of datacentre and cloud infrastructure.
At this ceremony, SDL was proud to be acknowledged and awarded the DCD award for the category, “Cloud Journey of the Year” for its Machine Translation to the Cloud project.
There are only three companies in the world that can deliver high quality statistical machine translation in combination with cloud technology and SDL Plc is one of them. SDL continues to lead in this space through providing trainable and scalable machine translation engines to its customers with stringent privacy, confidentiality and security processes and procedures in relation to the management of its cloud environment and its customers’ data.
SDL’s Machine Translation to the Cloud project was highly complex and included:
- The provision of over:
- 3,000 servers
- 1,200GHZ of processing capability
- 20TB of RAM
- 200TB of storage.
- Enabling our XMT language technology as our next generation of Machine Translation.
- Adopting new technology and design ideas that break the Language Cloud platform down into smaller, more manageable parts (services) to allow for faster new feature delivery to our customers.
- A shift from colocation to a private cloud deployment model, enabling the SDL Cloud Operations teams to move further up the IT stack where they can best add value, while enabling our chosen private cloud vendor to take care of hardware-related activity.
- Improved scalability and resilience of our technology.
I’m personally very proud of the whole SDL DevOps team and in sharing our success through this blog post I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who was involved in the project. Our team, from our offices in the US, the UK and Cluj, Romania, worked tirelessly to ensure our project was a success and that we executed the change without adverse impact to our customers. Through this effort, our customers were able to continuously use SDL’s Machine Translation technology throughout the transition.